Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Nothing yet

Yesterday morning, I woke up and it was raining really hard. David and Brooklyn were still asleep. I went outside and saw how much rain there was, how saturated the ground was, and how muddy our yard was. I started thinking about how bad the interstate is during rainy weather. The ruts worn into the road and how easy it is to hydroplane all over the place. The multitude of 18-wheelers that spray water onto your windshield so that you can't see where you're going. The aggressive drivers in Dallas and how they will cut across five lanes of traffic and slam their brakes on in front of you regardless of the weather. I started having an anxiety attack, picturing us in a wreck, our car rolled upside down, and all of the horrible things that could happen to Brooklyn if we did have a wreck.

I fretted for a while. I called my mom and asked her if I should try to reschedule Brooklyn's appointment. She gave me reasons why I should and reasons why I shouldn't and really wasn't much help. I called the pediatric gastroenterologist (Dr. R) and asked the scheduler when the next appointment would be if I did reschedule. She said September 23. I woke Dave up and asked him what we should do. He thought that we should stay home because seeing a doctor wasn't worth getting into a wreck with Brooklyn in the car. "If it was just us, that would be one thing," he said. "Brooklyn has enough problems, she doesn't need anything else to happen. Just call and tell then to give you that appointment for the 23rd."

But I felt really bad about making Brooklyn wait 3 more weeks with nothing else planned at this time. She had a really bad weekend with her reflux. I didn't want her to just wait when nothing is getting better. I called Dr. A's office and his nurse told me that Dr. A really wanted us to go to the appointment. Dr. A thought it was really important and didn't want it delayed. "Okay. We'll do it then."

By that time, I had wasted so much time trying to figure out what to do that it was practically time for us to leave. I told Dave to get out of bed and we rushed around getting Brooklyn fed and changed, giving her her medicines, and packing her diaper bag. The midday news show came on and showed that Hurricane Gustav had shifted northward and wasn't going to affect our area nearly as much as previously predicted. Whew!

The ride to Dallas was rainy and windy and messy, but there were no torrential downpours and people were actually using their driving manners. We arrived about 5 minutes late for our appointment, but I had called them about a half hour prior to let them know we might be a little behind due to bad weather. Last week, they had warned me that we would probably have to wait a long time to see Dr. R because we were a "work-in appointment." But they called us back about 10 minutes after I finished filling out Brooklyn's paperwork.

Brooklyn weighed just shy of 12 pounds. She was still 24 inches long. I was happy that there was some weight gain, even if it's not considered much. For us it's a pretty big deal at this point.

Dr. R was very nice. He spent a lot of time taking down Brooklyn's full medical history and asked us lots of questions about her. He did a brief examination of her. He agrees with Dr. A and Dr. G2, that the ENT is wrong and that Brooklyn's respiratory problems are not just caused by a really bad case of reflux. He thinks that her breathing problems are probably aggravated by the reflux, so he increased one of her reflux meds. The other 2 are already maximum doses for her size. He said that he is not sure what her respiratory issue is, but mentioned tracheomalacia and allergies to formula (she is breastfed about 50% of the time now and gets formula the rest of the time.)

Brooklyn has to have an endoscopy (scope of her stomach). Dr. R talked to Dr. G2, and Dr. G2 also wants to her to have a bronchoscopy (scope of her lower airway). They are going to try to coordinate their surgery schedules to do both procedures at the same time, so that Brooklyn doesn't have to be admitted to the hospital and be put under anesthesia twice. The surgical department at the children's hospital is supposed to call me this week to set up a pre-op appointment and the procedures. Dave asked if the pre-op appointment could be the same day as the procedure, and the nurse said no, due to Brooklyn's respiratory problems/stridor. I'm not sure why or what goes on at that appointment. They gave me a hospital "welcome packet" that explains some about what is going to happen before and after surgery, but I haven't gotten to read it yet. Anyway, the follow-up appointment with Dr. R is in 6 weeks, and the procedures will be done before then.

That's where we're at right now. More waiting. More tests. Including the bronchoscopy, which all the doctors have been trying to avoid up to this point because of Brooklyn's size and the risks.

I almost forgot to tell you how good and brave Brooklyn was. But then, she pretty much always is with all of this medical stuff. She is a tough little girl. I am so proud of her and I love her so much. I'm ready to not have to subject her to all of this anymore.

6 comments:

Hope said...

I really hope you get some answers. It's such a horrible feeling knowing your baby is having problems, but not being able to help. You are her advocate, just hang in there, hon. Brooklyn may be little, but she looks very happy and well loved!

Kate said...

This seems like a good step and I am so glad you feel like the Dr. listened to you. It just breaks my heart that she has to go through this. Hopefully it will all lead to some answers for you.

momofonefornow said...

That poor baby. I hope this is the end and they figure this out. it is so horrible to watch your baby suffer.

annacyclopedia said...

Amanda - I'm just catching up on things here after not having checked in for a long while. Oh my goodness! What a bunch of things for you and Brooklyn to have to go through. (Of course your hubby, too.) I'm so sorry Brooklyn is needing to be such a trooper while she is so little. I really hope you get some answers soon and than everything gets easier for you and your family. I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Beth & Steven said...

I'm glad that there's a plan in place... hopefully the new tests will lead to answers & solutions. Fortunately, she'll never remember any of these procedures and you're doing them all out of 100% love for her, which is so clear. As always, my thoughts are with you and beautiful little Brooklyn. Take care and stay strong. She's very lucky to have you as her Mama. :)

Carrie27 said...

More tests, I know...but hopefully these will be the ones that give all of you answers. I'm glad that Brooklyn can do the tests the same day, which saves you another long drive and traumatic experience for her as well.

All photos on this site are copyrighted. Please do not copy, download, or reproduce them without permission.