Brooklyn rolled from her tummy to her back for the first time this afternoon! Yaaaaay Baby Bear!!!
She will be 5 months old tomorrow. That is unbelievable. Time moves so fast.
She is still recovering from the salmonella. She is having diarrhea about 4 times a day now, but is back to acting like herself. It's hard to imagine how sick she was just last week...she really is doing so much better.
The pediatric sleep clinic called yesterday and scheduled Brooklyn's sleep study for August 21. We have to be in Dallas by 7 p.m., that day - the test will start at 8 p.m. and go until 5 in the morning. We have yet to hear from the pediatric gastroenterologist and whoever is supposed to do the video swallow test. On Thursday evening, a home health agency brought us the nebulizer for Brooklyn's breathing treatments and showed my hubby how to use it. They said that they couldn't come after I got off work. So far, the breathing treatments aren't going great, but they aren't horrible. It really is a two person job though....one person to hold Brooklyn and hold the mask in place on her face, and another person to sing/dance/show her toys/distract her so that she won't fight and scream. I hate it because she doesn't know what's going on and it probably scares her. But of course it will be worth it if it helps her.
I had 2 fairly lengthy phone conversations with Dr. A last night about the treatment plans proposed by the 2 specialists we have seen so far. Basically, I just wanted his guidance in the situation because we trust him. Dave and I want to make sure that we are not putting Brooklyn through any unnecessary procedures. She has aleady been through so much, and we have no real answers yet. Dr. A called and discussed Brooklyn's case with a partner of Dr. M (the ENT doctor) and then called me back. He said that everything that they are wanting to do may not tell us what the real problem is...it is his feeling that Brooklyn will probably still have to undergo the more invasive and risky bronchoscopy, because he thinks there is either some type of impingement or a serious case of tracheomalacia. He shares our feeling that this is not just a case of serious reflux. Dr. A thinks Brooklyn does have a bad case of reflux, but doesn't think that is the only problem. However, he said that these tests will give us good information about her reflux and her breathing and how she is really doing when asleep. He feels that we should go forward with everything as planned. He stressed that we do not have time to waste because of her "failure to thrive." There's that horrible term again.
Dr. A is also going to write me a letter because I am going to attempt to apply for the sick leave pool at work. I am totally out of all sick/vacation/comp time and need to be there for all of Brooklyn's many upcomings tests and appointments. Family Medical Leave Act is not an option at this time because our medical bills are stacking up and we can't make do without my paycheck. On Thursday, the human resources lady told me that she did not think that the board would grant me sick leave time to care for a dependent, only if I were sick myself. I think this is completely unfair. We're talking about taking care of a little baby who can't possibly care for herself. This was the only idea I had...so I am going to get letters and apply anyway. At least I can say I tried.
So that's where we are at right now...