Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A weighty problem

At Brooklyn's gastroenterologist appointment on January 20, she weighed 14 pounds, 15.7 ounces. This was up only 12 ounces from her appointment on December 2. So...7 weeks and only 12 ounces gained. You know that 3rd percentile line on the growth charts? The one that we had fought so hard to get her on? Yeah. She's below it again. Back to being off the charts.

I don't really understand why this is, she seems to eat well. We can only give her baby food once per day because baby food has less calories per ounce than formula or breastmilk. We are still increasing the calories in her formula to 30 per ounce instead of 20. We add extra formula powder to her bottles for the calories, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons of rice cereal per ounce to thicken it to a "nectar" consistency.

Now, I will say that the more active she has gotten, the worse her reflux has become. With rolling over, sitting, bouncing, standing, and now crawling, it has just gotten worse and worse. She spits up constantly while she's playing, so much so that I usually have multiple burp cloths around at play time and usually let her just play in her sleepers instead of nice clothes. And I always have to change her clothes afterwards, they are just soaked. We are talking usually 10+ big spit-ups every time she is on the floor for playtime, regardless of whether she ate 30 minutes before or 3 hours before. I wonder how much of the failure to gain weight is related to the volume of food she is spitting up.

I know that some parents have told me that their babies' cases of reflux improved once they could sit upright, that they were able to keep things down once they could sit themselves up. That seems logical, yet we are experincing the opposite. I don't know if moving around could be putting that much extra pressure on her stomach and causing the spitting up. That doesn't seem right, especially at 10 1/2 months. She ought to be outgrowing this by now, right??? Her stridor tends to get a lot louder when she is excited and playing. I know this is normal with laryngomalacia. It has always been the case with her. But could the spitting up be related to that as well???

As usual, I have so many questions and no answers. It's hard because I feel like a good mom wouldn't keep having all of these problems, I should just know how to fix it all for my little Baby Bear. I worry about what the doctors think of a mother who has a child with "failure to thrive" and "feeding problems" and can't seem to make any progress in making it better.

8 comments:

Jennifer W said...

This sucks and I'm sorry you are going through this. Do not beat yourself up, you are doing everything YOU can possibly do. I'm sure those doctors wish they knew how to fix it too. Trust me, doctors don't like looking like idiots, that's why they act so condescending and high and mighty, so you think they do know everything. The good news is it sounds like the spitting up isn't keeping her down. She has all these things going on and doesn't let it stand in her way. What a baby you have! You're doing a great job. One day somebody will find out what's going on and they will find out how to fix it and you will do everything in your power to make sure it happens. I can't remember if you've said in the past, did she have a G-button when she was young?

Hope said...

Do they have Brooklyn on thickeners or rice in her bottles? This not only helped Ava with weight gain, but also with reflux. I do give her breastmilk, but it has to be added to formula and rice/thickeners at every single feeding. I've had to do this since she was 1-2 wks old. I agree, the more active, the worse it gets (we aren't allowed tummy time yet, so no crawling). Also, the stridor does get louder when they're excited, which is normal:)

I wish I could help. I know all doctors are different which is why our babies are being treated so differently. ((Hugs)) Brooklyn is in my T&P!

Liz said...

You know, I wonder if maybe the more solids she eats, the better it will get? The thicker texture would go to the bottom of her belly quicker while liquids will slosh & reflux up her esophagus more readily. Of course there is the calorie issue, then, so what do I know? :)

My babies all spit up tons & tons (like what you're describing) til they were on mostly all solids.

Beth said...

You have/are doing everything you can... the Doctors must know that. It's so obvious what an incredible mother you are. Is your GI being helpful? If not, could you maybe see another one?

Thinking of you and your gorgeous little Baby Bear.

Carrie27 said...

Can't give you the hope of outgrowing it, as my oldest is about to be 2 and still on meds for reflux. As she got past a year, she started refluxing and swallowing it before it came down. We did a ph probe at a year and she had spit up over 300 times in less then 24 hours (and only a couple of those actually came out). We were doing great for a few months, and now it seems that she is back stepping yet again. Swallowing it down and occassionally spitting it up at least 1 a week.

Cibele said...

A good mom keeps asking questions, looking for answers, just like you do, you are a great mom!

Sarah said...

Oh Amanda, you are a great mommy!! I know the doctors can see in your eyes and hear in your voice the worry, frustration, and overwhelming concern for Brooklyn at every doctor visit and every phone call you make to them. I guarantee you that they want to make her better just as much as you do. I can't imagine how you must feel, and my heart goes out to you. You're doing a great job with her...keep up the good work!

edie & ella said...

I am sorry about the step back in on the weight chart...it may just be that she is a little girl...and if she didn't have the other issues noone would worry just yet.
You ARE an excellent mother...I am sure the doctors don't think ill of you at all and if they do F ' em......and get another doctor.......hang in there sam

All photos on this site are copyrighted. Please do not copy, download, or reproduce them without permission.