Friday, November 6, 2009

Denied.

I just received a call informing me that Brooklyn has been denied for her Synagis shots for RSV this year.

Apparently, our insurance changed its' criteria this summer and decided that babies with "congenital anomalies" would only be approved for Synagis during their first 12 months of life, regardless of how long those congenital anomalies continue to cause them problems.

I am so upset that I can't quit crying. I am ready to rip my hair out from the frustration. I have been jumping through hoops trying to get my HIGH-RISK daughter an H1N1 vaccination for a month now, with absolutely no success. No one has them. Not here, not Dallas. My only offer has been to give her one with thimerosol (mercury) in it. I think not. We've already had our autism scare and are dealing with delays as it is. I thought for sure when I took Brooklyn to see one of her specialists at Children's Medical that they would have the vaccinations. Nope.

I am absolutely terrified. Every day brings more news stories about the virus, more children dying. Every time a local child has died, the media has made a big deal out of stressing that the child "had a compromised respiratory system." I know why they do it. It's supposed to comfort parents of healthy children, and that's all well and good, but what about us parents of babies and children who do have those "compromised respiratory systems." Thanks for adding to the panic and anxiety and fear we already had.

I'm becoming more and more of a hermit with Brooklyn with each passing week. We don't go to anyone else's house. Birthday parties? I think not. Anything indoors with multiple people, I don't want her there. Stores, malls, restuarants, I am freaked out. I don't want to take her anywhere anymore. I'm just too scared. My anxiety level is ridiculous. Outdoor things seem less threatening to me. We took her to the pumpkin patch two weeks ago, but I didn't want her to touch anything. We went to the zoo on Halloween, and I was alright most of the time, but when we went in the penguin house, where it was warm and humid and crowded and seemed like a germ breeding ground, I wanted Brooklyn out of there as quickly as possible. I make up excuses why I can't go places with my friends. We are quickly becoming prisoners in our own home.

Can someone please give my little girl a break? I just want her protected from all of these horrible things going around.This doesn't seem like too much to ask.

The Synagis coordinator said that she is going to try to get Brooklyn's pulmonologist to appeal the ruling. So all we can do at this point is hope and pray for a positive outcome.

7 comments:

Beth said...

I'm so sorry you're going through this... so frustrating, I know.

Thinking of you!

Cibele said...

HUG. I'll be praying that you can get a H1N1 shot for her soon.

Miss K said...

There is no H1N1 vaccine to be found here, either. None of my friends with high risk kids have gotten it. It really ticks me off. As for insurance, you should work with your Doctor and your HR plan admin to hit the company from both sides. I am so sorry. I pray that she can have the shot.

Hope said...

I'm shocked that nobody has helped you get her Synagis or the H1N1 shot! Does she get EI? If so, they can help find the H1N1 shot. The made sure one was "saved" for Ava. Check your local school districts also. Our school district got the vaccine for all children 0-13 yrs old. Free.

As for the Synagis, I'm stunned they denied. But insurance is not the best subject with me. I'm praying Brooklyn gets her shots!!

Andrea-Memories As A Mom said...

Tears formed in my eyes while reading your post, I can just feel your heartache. I don't think you are being overboard - I think you are doing exactly what you have to do in this situation. Unfortunately there have been some big mistakes with this whole H1N1 vaccine thing and so the result is having to keep your baby in a bubble until your can feel comfortable that your daughter is safe. Hopefully you will be able to give her the mercury free vaccine soon - my ped. said it will be at his office the week of Thanksgiving (we live in Omaha) so I would think that it would be in Dallas around the same time??? But I am not even 100% sure I'll be giving it to my son (since he is not high risk, although he's only 18 months so that's why I am on the fence) - I wish I could just give you ours!!!

Liz said...

Sure do miss your new blog posts.... (wink, wink)

Eva said...

Hi. How are you?
Did Brooklyn got a H1N1 shot?
Hugs

All photos on this site are copyrighted. Please do not copy, download, or reproduce them without permission.